Thursday, January 8, 2015

Movies I Have Cried At

Guys, it's okay to cry at movies. I haven't for a long time, but I do come close sometimes even now. I may be missing a few, but these stick out. Granted, most of these were when I was a kid...but not all.




1. Ghost. It wasn't the fact that I was seeing a totally inappropriately scary movie at the age of THREE that did it, oddly enough. I had only walked in near the end. But that ending wrecked me on an emotional level with it's beautiful sadness. Again, guys, I was THREE.

2. Beauty and the Beast. Hey, it looked like my favorite character had died, so I was sad! Luckily, he got better.

3. The Lion King. Yes, Mufasa was my generation's Bambi's Mom, but it affected me even more because my parents had just gone through a particularly messy divorce and I was very close with my father.

4. Dragonheart. Same reason as Beauty and the Beast above, though unfortunately this death stuck.

5. Moulin Rouge!. This is when I was older. The first time I saw this movie was after a particularly bad break-up, so I was far more susceptible to its raw emotion and message of love. I see more of its flaws now, but I still like the movie.

6. The Notebook. When I first started dating the woman who would become my wife, she insisted we watch this. The ending punched me right in the gut on a number of levels and I couldn't hold back.

Honorable Mentions

1. Edward Scissorhands. I don't remember if I cried the first time I saw it, but it always gets me choked up. Especially with that music.

2. Big Fish. Again, don't remember if the tears actually flowed the first time, but boy did they want to.

3. Return of the King and Bettle of Five Armies. I didn't actually cry at either of these, but both endings to the Middle-Earth films got me ferklempt not just at what was going on, but because it was the ending of a fantastic experience.

Again, there's probably more that I'm missing, but I'm willing to admit that things affect me emotionally. And that I have emotions.

3 comments:

  1. Annie Lennox singing "Into The West" at the end of Return of the King - always tear up ... now I can only see the goodbye scene wherever I am when that song plays. But anyone who knows me knows that I'm a major weeper at movies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Dear God the music in those movies are some of the greatest ever.

      Delete
  2. "Perks of Being a Wallflower" was painful to watch as 1) I never had a group of friends like Charlie. When I was his age (9th grade), my group of friends were splitting up. I would've loved older people to be friends with and share our alternative music tastes with. While I have had groups of friends, most of them tend to be dysfunctional as everyone has petty issues and baggage or are too clingy with certain people. And all the romance drama tore me up. There was a point in my life where I couldn't watch movies with too much emphasis on romance.

    ReplyDelete